Week 11 Story Planning: Pig and Pepper

This week, I want to plan my next storybook story retelling Pig and Pepper of the Alice in Wonderland saga. I read this story for an extra credit reading, so I will look closer into how it can shape my storybook here.

Source
In the Pig and Pepper story, Alice comes across the Duchess, the Chesire cat, the Frog and Fish Footmen and the pig-child. This introduced many Wonderland characters that I want to include in my storybook. Particularly what stood out in this story is the Chesire cat telling Alice that if she went a certain direction, she would find the Mad Hatter. This interested me because in my last story, Alice meets the Mad Hatter. In my next storybook story, I think it could be fun to have Alice reconnect with the Mad Hatter alongside the Chesire cat. It would make the transition between story 2 and 3 on my website make more sense, and it'd show how interactions take place in Wonderland around the interesting creatures that are friends (the Caterpillar was not liked in my last story). I'm exploring also having Alice enter the Mad Hatter's Tea Party in my next story to introduce the two, although that may be a lot to include for this next story.

Image

Research
I was curious if a Chesire cat was a type of cat in the real world, because I've never heard of one. After looking online, I found out that it's not a type of cat -- but rather, in Lewis Carroll's day, "to grin like a Chesire cat" was a common term. This makes sense since the cat never wipes that grin off its face during Alice's interaction with him.

I kind of wondered why the pig baby even existed in this story, as once Alice left it in the forest it was never brought up again. After researching, it appears this was the only time the pig baby was in Alice in Wonderland: being in the Duchess's house, sneezing because of the pepper, Alice nannying it for a short period then it turning into a pig. I don't think I'll include this character in my storybook.

Before having these two meet, I wanted to make sure they were friends in the first place. After researching online, I see that the Chesire cat was one of the characters at Mad Hatter's tea party and that they do get along. This also showed me how I could incorporate Mad Hatter's tea party in a later story, after Alice really gets to know the Mad Hatter and the cat.

Bibliography

Comments

  1. Wow! I never did an actual story planning post, but it is awesome seeing one. I think this is great to see, because it shows me how much work you really put into this class. You did a lot of research and new notes for your stories and it really shows through when I read them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Olivia Pope*

Week 2 Story: Basilisk's Revenge